Hello, and welcome to MarshallBrain.com. I am glad you have found your way to this site and appreciate your taking the time to visit.
I am best known as the founder of How Stuff Works. I started HowStuffWorks as a hobby in 1998 and it has grown to be one of the top Web sites in the country. In 2007 Discovery Communications purchased HowStuffWorks.com for $250 million. I am also well known as the host of the show “Factory Floor with Marshall Brain” which appeared on the National Geographic channel.
|The Doomsday Book – The companion website for the book is available here.|
|MachineThatMakesMoney.com – Your complete online guide to becoming an entrepreneur and starting your startup – Click here to start reading!|
|Imagining Elon Musk’s Million-Person Mars Colony – The greatest thought experiment of all time!” is now available free here on MarshallBrain.com – Click here to start reading!|
|Join the discussion on Reddit|
I am known for the Robotic Nation essays and the book Manna. The article How to make a million dollars is also very popular. I am also known as a member of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers at North Carolina State University.
I have appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, the Dr. Oz show, CNN, MSNBC, Modern Marvels, etc. I have been interviewed for hundreds of different newspaper articles, magazine articles and radio shows. If you would like to schedule an interview, please click here.
Today I am a writer, a well-known national speaker, a consultant. I am the Director of the Engineering Entrepreneurs Program at NCSU. I am an active participant in the entrepreneurial community in RTP as a mentor, coach, consultant and adviser. I am very interested in Elon Musk’s Mars Colony, Basic Income and the concentration of wealth, I work with Dr. Seth Hollar on EcoPRT (a envisioned automated transportation system for NCSU), and so on. You can find my resume on LinkedIn. I live in Cary, N.C. with my wife Leigh and our four children. Contact information is available at the bottom of this page.
You may also enjoy these in-depth interviews and videos:
Marshall Brain’s Bio
- Born in Santa Monica, California, on May 17, 1961.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York
- M.S. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Taught in the computer science department at NCSU between 1986 and 1992
- Named to the Academy of Outstanding Teachers at NCSU in 1992.
- Started a software training and consulting company in Raleigh in 1992.
- Named one of the Carolinas’ top entrepreneurs by Ernst & Young in 1999.
- Founded HowStuffWorks as a hobby in 1998 and turned it into a venture-backed startup in 2000.
- Won numerous awards while at HowStuffWorks including:
- Other Achievements:
- Author of more than a dozen books.
- Hundreds of live radio and television interviews on radio stations like WABC and TV networks like CNN.
- Hundreds of radio vignettes for the Cox radio network.
- Dozens of television news vignettes like this and this.
- Host of the National Geographic show “Who Knew? with Marshall Brain”
- We’re approaching humanity’s make or break period (2015)
- School for Startups (2015)
- Marshall Brain Explains ‘How Stuff Works’ (2015)
- How Marshall’s Brain Works (2014)
- Radio In Vivo Interview (2014)
- Sultan of Stuff
- Brain’s eye is firmly on the future
- Welcome to the Machine?
- Time Magazine
- Wired Magazine
- Geek of the week
- Los Angeles Times editorial
- The New York Times
- Review of The Teenager’s Guide
Contact Information for Marshall Brain
103 Crosswaite way
Cary, NC 27518