Here is my journey so far with the Dukan Diet:
- I wrote an article on the Dukan diet: How the Dukan Diet works – The French diet that is supposed to end the obesity epidemic
- I started with a 5-day “attack phase”: Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet and lost 6.6 pounds – here’s a report on how it went (days 1 to 5)
- I have been in “cruise phase” now for 20 weeks. Here are reports on the first 19 weeks:
- Week 1 (days 6 to 10)
- Week 2 (days 11 to 16)
- Week 3 (Days 17 to 25)
- Week 4 (Days 25 to 32)
- Week 5 (Days 32 through 39)
- Week 6 (Days 39 though 46)
- Week 7 (Days 46 though 53)
- Week 8 (Days 53 through 60)
- Week 9 (Days 60 through 67)
- Week 10 (Days 67 through 74)
- Week 11 (Days 74 through 81)
- Week 12 (Days 81 through 88)
- Week 13 (Days 88 through 95)
- Week 14 (Days 95 through 102)
- Week 15 (Days 102 to 109)
- Week 16 (Days 109 to 116)
- Week 17 (Days 116 to 123)
- Week 18 (Days 123 to 130)
- Week 19 (Days 130 to 137)
And today I am reporting on my twentieth week (days 137 through 144) on the Dukan diet. This has been a “normal” week – no great amount of exercise like last week, no huge transgressions. But there was one exciting moment on the diet front – I tasted the 170s for one day. Yesterday I weighed 179.6, although today I had inched back up to 180.0. Overall, I lost 2.0 pounds for the week. Here is how the week unfolded:
Day 137 –
- Today on the scale I did lose weight. I lost 1.6 pounds. I now weigh 182.0.
- Today I ate a pound of chicken, half a pound of salmon, 3 eggs, 2 cups of cottage cheese, 2 ounces of mozzarella cheese, a slice of cantaloupe and a slice of watermelon. The fruit is probably a transgression, but still a pretty good day.
- For exercise, Leigh and the twins and I went kayaking tonight.
Day 138 –
- This morning on the scale I weigh the same as I did yesterday – 182.0. Had I not had the bad day on Day 131 (one week ago today), I would probably weigh 179.2 at this point. Sheesh.
- Today I ate 2 pounds of chicken, half a pound of salmon, 3 eggs and 3 cups of cottage cheese. About 2,100 calories, which is a little high.
- Leigh, David and I walked about 3 miles today.
Day 139 –
- On the scale this morning I lost 0.2 pounds. I weigh 181.8. There is still water weight from Day 131 that has not been lost yet.
- I was very good today. I ate a pound of chicken, a pound of Tilapia, 2 cups of cottage cheese and a box of antioxidant vegetables. No transgressions, no nuts. About 1,500 calories for the day.
- I also did well on the exercise front. I walked for half an hour, played a little soccer with the kids and rode the exercise bicycle for an hour and burned 450 calories. I watched episode 3 of Lost on Hulu. This is the first ride I’ve done since the 100 mile ride on Sunday. Riding on the exercise bike is effortless. It felt great.
- Having done well on food, and having gotten good exercise today, I expect to lose weight tomorrow….
Day 140 –
- …But on the scale this morning I weigh the same as yesterday – 181.8.
- If you go look back at Week 18, it really seemed like I was going to effortlessly waltz into the 170s. Day 131 seems to have changed that in a big way. Which I guess indicates that blow-out bad days on the Dukan diet are not a good idea. I wonder when I am going to get unstuck?
- How to get unstuck? Today I decided I would try something different. This decision was also forced upon me because I wasn’t paying attention to the cottage cheese supply and ran out. Horrors. How long has it been since I had a day without cottage cheese? With no time to go grocery shopping until tomorrow, today I ate 1 pound of salmon, 1 pound of tilapia, half a pound of chicken, 3 eggs and two boxes of antioxidant vegetables. No transgressions, no nuts. About 1,700 calories for the day.
- No exercise to speak of today.
Day 141 –
- Today I actually lost weight. I dropped 1.2 pounds and now weigh 180.6 – a new low for me.
- Cottage cheese is really salty (like 1,000 mg per cup), and normally I eat 2 or 3 cups a day, so the weight loss could simply be a salt thing caused by lack of cottage cheese yesterday. Or maybe the vegetables? But it is nice to see any weight loss since Day 131.
- BP is 110/75 this morning, which is also nice to see. It is the lowest morning reading I have had in a long time. That could be a salt thing too.
- Today I ate a pound of chicken (500 cals), a pound of salmon (500 cals), 6 low-carb meatballs (340 calories, 10 grams carbs), 2 ounces of lunch meat (70 cals) and 3 cups of cottage cheese (400 cals). Probably 4,000 mg of sodium today though (2,000 from cottage cheese, 500 from lunch meat, 1,500 from the rest).
- For exercise I worked in the yard all day today. Big, stupid yard project.
Day 142 –
- My weight is unchanged this morning. I weigh 180.6 again.
- Today I ate half a pound of chicken, half a pound of tilapia, 6 low-carb meatballs, 3 eggs and 1 cup of cottage cheese. That’s a 1,300 calorie day, which is amazing because…
- …today I continued working on the yard DIY project from hell. I spent the entire day (from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM) (with the exception of occasional water breaks, lunch and dinner) outside working. Certainly doesn’t burn the kind of calories I did on the bike ride last weekend, but it still beats sitting in a chair all day when it comes to the calorie burn rate. And keep in mind that I consumed 3,000 calories on the bike ride day, not 1,300.
Day 143 –
- This morning on the scale it finally happened. I lost 1.0 pounds and now weigh 179.6. This is the first time I have seen the 170s since college or so, and for me it is really exciting. Now I feel like I have accomplished something significant. Why the drop? I ate less salt yesterday than the day before, and definitely ran a calorie deficit yesterday that exceeded 1,000 calories. Add that to the exercise and it produced weight loss, it seems.
- My blood pressure this morning is 129/81, the highest it has been in awhile. It wasn’t particularly good yesterday either. I could be salt. It could be cottage cheese. Or maybe there is something else going on.
- Today I have been really hungry (perhaps a side effect of yesterday’s low caloric intake?). By 11AM I ate half a pound of chicken, 3 eggs, a handful of walnuts, 6 meatballs and finally resorted to lunch meat (4 ounces?) to try to put the brakes on things. Fortunately the lunch meat worked. The rest of the day I ate half a pound of Tilapia, half a pound of chicken and a cup of cottage cheese.
- No exercise to speak of today. I have been taking aspirin all day for muscle aches incurred yesterday. Lots of lifting was done yesterday, apparently using muscles unused on a bicycle.
Day 144 –
- And so today I gained 0.4 pounds and now weigh 180.0. I suppose it is better to have tasted the 170s and lost, than to have never tasted the 170s. I know I am close. These are water fluctuations. For the week I lost 2.0 pounds. I have lost 47.6 pounds since starting the Dukan diet.
This was a pretty normal week, and I lost 2.0 pounds. I have 5 pounds to go before reaching my target weight of 175. In theory I can knock that out in 2 weeks.
Then there is idea that has been suggested in the comments of dropping below the target weight, say to 170. I would do that so, once carbs are consumed again, there is room for my weight to inevitably rebound immediately up 3.0 to 4.0 pounds. That way I would still be at my target weight in the consolidation phase. 4 weeks? We will see. Onward!
Dukan Table of Contents
- My Dukan Diet Experience (I lost 52 pounds on this diet)
- How much does the Dukan Diet cost per day?
- Very cool calculator for calculating your specific dietary needs – Protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, etc.
- Fasting and Fasting diets – Four different ways to try a fasting diet
- Good question – what is your “ideal weight” if you want to be healthy?
- What can you do when you “get stuck” at some weight plateau on the Dukan diet (or any diet)
- Drew Carey loses 80 pounds with a no-carb diet
- How does your appearance change when you become obese?
- How does your appearance change when you become obese?
- Would you like to lose weight? Video shows the latest science on what works and what doesn’t
- This has got to be the easiest dieting/weight loss tip ever: drink more water
- How to make Greek yogurt at home and cut your yogurt costs in half
- I made half a gallon of Greek yogurt this weekend – talk about cheap and easy! And Tasty!
- All the dire warnings I have gotten about the Dukan diet have turned out to be wrong
- What if everything that we are taught about carbs is actually propaganda?
- How Carbohydrates Don’t Work – in fact, carbs are probably causing the obesity epidemic. If you are overweight, it is probably the carbs
- Why do we feel like we are entitled to carbs? That we cannot live without them?
- Today I officially reached the “50.0 pounds lost” milestone on my Dukan Diet weight loss journey, and you can too